At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Completes accurate financial reporting for public and private fixed income and equity securities for Northwestern Mutual and related entities. Completes processes to ensure accurate monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to internal management as well as external agencies and auditors. Assists in the monthly data integrity process to ensure the accuracy of the securities system and its associated financial processing routines in recording the assets, income, and gains and losses of securities investments held by Northwestern Mutual and related entities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparation of the investment portion of the quarterly and annual statement filings with state insurance regulators and Statutory audited financials.
- Complete monthly closing of the Portfolio Asset Management (PAM) securities system and its associated financial processing routines of recording the assets, income, and gains and losses of Northwestern Mutual and related entities to ensure that proper Statutory and U.S. GAAP principles are applied, including monthly reconciliations of the system.
- The ability to effectively maintain relations within subgroups in Investment Accounting, divisions within Controllers, Treasury and Investments Operations, Securities, Legal and other company departments as needed.
- Prepares additional periodic reporting as requested.
- Researches and recommends appropriate actions regarding Statutory and U.S. GAAP regulatory changes impacting the accounting for securities investments.
- Represents Investment Accounting (where needed) during system upgrade projects, including evaluating new system functionality and its impact on Investment Accounting and identifying problems and improvement opportunities related to the reporting and financial processing components.
- Maintains Model Audit Rule documentation.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in either accounting or finance required with a minimum 5 years accounting work experience.
- A strong working knowledge of accounting principles and practices related to investment products, demonstrated decision making and analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to effectively maintain relations within subgroups in Investment, accounting, divisions within Controllers, Treasury and Investments Operations, Securities, Legal and other company departments as needed.
- A high degree of personal initiative and self-motivation is required.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred or working toward CPA designation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, specifically Excel, and PeopleSoft applications.
- Experience with the PAM investment accounting system.
- Ability to work independently to find solutions to issues and to train and review colleagues work.
- Ability to identify and drive forward efficiency opportunities.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups