At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Completes accurate Statutory and U.S. GAAP financial accounting of security and real estate partnership investments on JD Edwards for Northwestern Mutual and related entities. Performs processes to ensure accurate monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to internal management as well as external agencies and auditors. Assists in the monthly data integrity process to ensure accuracy of the JD Edwards system and its associated financial processing routines in recording the assets, income, and gains and losses of partnership investments held by Northwestern Mutual and related entities. Assists with researching and recommending appropriate actions regarding Statutory and U.S. GAAP regulatory changes impacting the accounting for partnership investments to be implemented within the deliverables and various investment systems. Maintains the Model Audit Rule documentation related to securities partnerships.
- Reviews the applicable partnership investment portions of the quarterly and annual statement filings with state insurance regulators and Statutory audited financial documents (including footnotes). This includes creating and maintaining reports that can be used to facilitate quality assurance of all filings and Statutory amounts reported, and explaining variances and trends for amounts reported.
- Completes monthly closing of the JD Edwards system and its associated financial processing routines in recording the assets, income, and gains and losses of Northwestern Mutual and related entities to ensure that accurate statutory and U.S. GAAP principles are applied accurately. This includes balancing amounts between Statutory and GAAP and also includes balancing amounts between JD Edwards and PeopleSoft.
- Maintains the Model Audit Rule documentation related to securities partnerships.
- Assists with researching and recommending appropriate actions regarding Statutory and U.S. GAAP regulatory changes affecting assigned investment portfolios and coordinates implementation of the changes on the accounting systems.
- Assists in planning and preparing responses to requests from external auditors (PricewaterhouseCoopers), internal audit, state insurance examiners, SEC, and rating agencies (SP, Moody's, A.M. Best).
- Partners with the Specialists within the Treasury and Investment Operations Department for the purpose of resolving non-routine accounting matters to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Participates in special projects as the business client specialist on the assigned investment portfolio.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting required with 5-7 years work experience.
- A strong working knowledge of Statutory Accounting Principles and U.S. GAAP.
- Strong understanding of investments, proven decision making and analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Also, this position requires an ability to effectively manage relationships with other departments, public accountants, etc.
- A high degree of personal initiative and self-motivation
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred or working toward CPA designation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, specifically Excel, experience in NVision and PeopleSoft applications. Experience with the JD Edwards accounting system.
- Accounting - Intermediate
- Annual Filing - Intermediate
- Auditing - Intermediate
- Consulting - Intermediate
- Financial Compliance - Advanced
- Financial Disclosures - Intermediate
- Financial Reporting - Advanced
- Financial Reporting Systems - Advanced
- General Accepted Account Principles (GAAP) - Intermediate
- Investment Management Systems - Intermediate
- Portfolio Management - Advanced
- Process Improvements - Intermediate
- Program Management - Advanced
- Statutory Accounting - Intermediate
- System Assessments - Intermediate
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups