At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is seeking an experienced and agile Head of Venture Platform interested in joining a diverse, meaningful, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role?
Responsible for helping achieve the vision of Northwestern Mutual’ s Strategic Investing Team. Requires having a broad understanding of the company’s strategic objectives, a strong internal network at the senior leadership level, an understanding of the evolving startup landscape and the ability to demonstrate how investments in early stage companies can assist Northwestern Mutual in anticipating potential business model disruptors. Works to create connections across portfolio companies for teamwork and sharing insights. Helps to build the NM Future Ventures brand both internally and externally.
Bring Your Best!
What this role needs:
- Collaborating with multiple functional areas including distribution, technology, operations, and product lines to understand strategic priorities and create connectivity to portfolio companies.
- Identifying potential partnership opportunities between Northwestern Mutual and portfolio companies and making the appropriate connections so that partnerships can be operationalized.
- Designing programming and events for existing portfolio companies to become more aware of resources available across Northwestern Mutual that also serve as opportunity for leaders across company to interact with portfolio companies.
- Owning the effort to introduce startups to appropriate areas of Northwestern Mutual to cultivate a greater understanding of emerging technology and look for situations where maximizing a startup can advance key priorities.
- Facilitating efforts across multiple functional areas to provide regular updates to key partners on emerging companies and potential disruption to Northwestern Mutual’ s business.
- Executing a communications plan to position the Strategic Investing Team as a leader with vision on the startup ecosystem both internally and externally including creating blog posts, newsletters and social media posts.
- Creating connections across the venture capital portfolio to allow existing portfolio companies to collaborate and share insights with one another.
Desired personal attributes:
- Degree in business with an emphasis in finance or management.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in strategy, finance, or related fields with a strong preference for prior VC or startup experience.
- Ability to develop a broad external network in the VC community to build a deep understanding of emerging trends in areas of investment focus. Preference for an already established VC or startup network.
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaboration and change leadership skills with ability to influence across many functional areas and all levels including senior leader level.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, work across many areas with a virtual team and provide innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Dynamic and strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to influence internal, external, and senior leadership audiences.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Strong DEI lens as it relates to our Sustained Action for Racial Equity (SARE) efforts focused on our Women’s Founder Initiative and our Black Founder Program.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups