At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help build a next generation platform. Your work will be the foundation to run and enhance the digital tools that help service our clients.
The role requires an agile engineering attitude, patience and persistence to solve complex problems, ability to get things done quickly but thoughtfully, and strong engineering skills. Join us at the forefront of FinTech innovation!
What this looks like:
- Join our team building solutions for a digital platform. We write the code that supports a growing fleet of apps in a micro-app architecture. For instance, we utilize APIs and infrastructure to write apps (mostly in NodeJS) to enable authentication, enhance incoming requests with more data, cache data, and monitor the system.
- You’ll use Kubernetes, AWS, and Microservice architecture to help implement solutions in a high availability environment.
- Write those solutions using test-driven-development.
- We peer review each other’s code and design
- Work alongside external teams to support the apps they are writing on our platform. Use your expertise to help diagnose and resolve outages or issues.
- We’ll work as a team to identify and develop new solutions to enhance the platform.
Bring Your Technical Experience:
- Using Nginx (or, even better: Open Resty & Lua)
- Experience in AWS, such as EC2, Dynamo, RDS, and S3/CF
- Experience working with Kubernetes
- Unit Testing (such as using Jest or Mocha), Integration Testing and their best practices is a plus
- Relational Databases (such as MySQL or Postgres) & Key/Value stores (such as Dynamo, Mongo, or Redis) is a plus
- The OSI model
- The Agile methodology of development
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architecture
- Like to keep learning, with an ownership mindset
- Don’t mind flexing your critical thinking skills
- Have 3+ years professional experience, and bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience)
- You’ve been working with modern engineering tools, languages and practices for at least 3 years.
Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program, and more!
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups