At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Full Stack React/Node Engineer plays a critical role at Northwestern Mutual. We are building high-visibility applications that support our organization’s rapidly growing retail investment business including providing solutions for our customers and our large nationwide sales force. In addition, we develop and support microservices in an API Store to allow our internal consumers to interact with retail investment data. This requires handling back-end integrations to third-party vendors, internal data stores, and the implementation of internal logic such as business rules and data access controls. The microservices are deployed to an AWS cloud-distributed environment.
As a member of our engineering team, you will be finding innovative ways to develop resilient, sustainable, secure, scalable solutions to create an exemplary experience for our user base while being on a highly collaborative team that utilizes agile practices. You will have a basic understanding of full stack solutions, and you will help the team through code reviews as well as building feautures.
Required skills and experience:
- 1+ years of Node microservice API experience building high-volume, high-availability distributed systems
- Experience with cloud distributed systems, preferably AWS
- A minimum of one year of React UI development experience
- Source control using Git including standard branching strategies
- Ability to create automated builds and tests with Docker
- CI/CD expertise
- Static code analysis for test coverage, remediating code smells and vulnerabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate successfully and effectively with team members. Includes but not limited to: participating in daily scrum standups, pair programming, engaging in peer code reviews, and utilizing collaboration tools like Slack and Skype.
Experience that’s not required, but nice to have:
- Redux state management as well as the use of React hooks for functional state management
- Data modeling
- Unix shell scripting
- Java / Spring experience
- Detailed and organized, curious and persistent – eager to find solutions to complex business needs, and not afraid to dig into issues and resolve problems
- Fast learner, self-starter, and curious with a strong desire to learn new things and a willingness to experiment
- Able to deal with ambiguity and drive tasks to completion in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong sense of ownership and the drive to tackle cross-team projects
- Be proficient in most aspects of Node.js and React along with AWS infrastructure
- Within the first 3 months, be able to take an existing project and understand the overall design, flow, and purpose by asking the appropriate questions and researching the technologies used.
- Within 6 months be able to identify and suggest improvement opportunities within the stack. Have a basic understanding of the business area which the team supports.
- Within 3 months contribute to technical discussions across the enterprise through slack conversations, confluence documentation etc.
- Within 6 months be able to independently build out entire features within the stack. Be willing and able to onboard and mentor other resources.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups