At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
With over 4 million requests per month, and consistent month-over-month growth of over 30%, We are looking for a driven, self-starting individual to join our growing team of engineers as we extend our highly-performant, and highly available, search APIs across the enterprise. On the team, engineers may be engaged in both development and support activities, working directly with consumers to diagnose problems and spearhead new initiatives.
- Creating well designed, efficient, tested, quality code
- Working collaboratively with other developers to review, test, and debug code
- Looking at old things in new ways
- Working on and solving complex problems
- Improving the organization
- Month 1 - while working with engineers on the teams, be able to jump head-first into new applications and ask the appropriate questions / do the appropriate research to identify the general functions and behaviors of the system. Begin contributing to minor backlog items.
- Month 3 - have proficient knowledge of the baseline applications and be able to take the reins around backlog items and appropriately spec and develop code to contribute directly to the GIT repositories. Be able to dive into the overall application distribution architectures and navigate the cloud environments in which they run.
- Month 6 - be able to navigate the full stack of the applications and supporting components, contributing directly to engineering discussions that affect the current and future state of the applications. Essentially, contributing to the team at your full capacity.
What We Use to Build Software
- APIs (REST & GraphQL)
- Containerization (Docker & Kubernetes)
- Cloud (AWS, S3, SQS, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Agile (Scrum & Jira)
- Source Code Management & CI/CD (GitLab)
- Testing Frameworks (Jest & JUnit)\
- Frontend Libraries (React & Redux)
- Backend Libraries (Express.js & Java Spring Boot)
- Bachelor’s or 3 years full-time experience with at least 1 year of software engineering in a professional capacity
- Basic understanding of statically typed languages, such as Java or C#
- Ability to work in a team and collaboration first environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
What puts you over the top:
- A solid understanding of both NO-SQL and SQL databases (relational and non-relational), such as elasticsearch, mongo, mysql, and/or mssql
- A solid grip on key agile methodologies, such as Scrum or Kanban
- A working knowledge of micro service design patterns and implementations, including understanding of Kubernetes concepts
- An intimate knowledge of at least one unit testing framework, such as jest or jUnit
- Some knowledge of big data processing methods, such as Spring Batch, Apache Spark or Hadoop MapReduce
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work in Colorado or work remotely, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups