At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Our team is looking for a senior full stack engineer to join the NM Digital Platform Experience team. We are responsible for:
- providing real-time, highly available, sophisticated and exceptional search capabilities for our Field and Home Office users, handling over 4 million requests per month!
- providing a crucial privacy workflow for the Field allowing them to request and obtain permission to access client records.
- supporting existing applications and services related to the visibility, access and auditing of search records and digital account viewing agreements for the enterprise digital platform.
You’re the right fit if you’re the best of the best and have yet to meet a problem you couldn’t solve, the kind of programmer that stays up late until you find that perfect bit of code that works. We need someone that loves to write elegant code but more than that, is passionate about making things work. We need a coder who’s eager to grow but already sees things through the eyes of an architect - someone who keeps the big picture in mind no matter the task. We need a developer that always codes with performance, scalability, and concurrency in mind. We need a hacker who reads code like a book and enjoys digging into unfamiliar source, and we’d love if you were someone who can debug another’s code as easily as you can debug your own. We need an engineer who is not afraid to dive into shell scripts, config files and virtual machines and whatever else is needed.
Engineers at NM are empowered to pick the right tools and technology stack to fit their needs. The team is using the following technologies to build software: Spring Boot, Spring Integration, ElasticSearch, Docker, NodeJS, Typescript, Gitlab, Jira.
Your general milestones are as follows:
- Within the first month – while working with engineers on the teams, be able to jump head-first into new applications and ask the appropriate questions / do the appropriate research to identify the general functions and behaviors of the system. Begin contributing to minor backlog items.
- Within three months – have proficient knowledge of the baseline applications and be able to take the reins around backlog items and appropriately spec and develop code to contribute directly to the GIT repositories. Be able to dive into the overall application distribution architectures and navigate the cloud environments in which they run.
- Within six months – be able to navigate the full stack of the applications and supporting components, contributing directly to engineering discussions that affect the current and future state of the applications. Essentially, contributing to the team at your full capacity.
- Fast learner and self-starter. The people you will work with are incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but you have to be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
- Technical, must enjoy getting your hands dirty above and beyond the Java platform.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision, yet actively interact with other team members in person or over the Internet (chat, videoconference, email).
- Work collaboratively on creative solutions with engineers, product managers and designers in an agile like environment.
- Bring new ideas and new ways of solving problems to the team.
Education / Professional Experience
- 3+ years professional development experience in Java.
- Experience with REST / SOAP services and clients.
- Experience with AWS services such as S3, SQS, Kinesis, DynamoDB.
- Experience writing queries and performing analytics with Elasticsearch.
- Working knowledge developing cloud based, dockerized applications and microservices.
- Working knowledge of front end components and frameworks such as React and Node.
- Working knowledge of the Spring Framework and JUnit.
- Experience writing and debugging multithreaded Java applications.
- Experience with Github for source code management.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups