At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director-Financial Reporting, the incumbent analyzes the impact of business changes on financial reporting systems and procedures, making recommendations regarding their resolution and/or defining business specifications for their resolution. Ultimately they ensure that the Actuarial valuation and financial reporting systems meet internal and external reporting requirements.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes the impact of business changes on actuarial systems used for calculating reserves, tax reporting, annual statement reporting, actuarial studies, and other management reporting. Makes decisions regarding necessary changes, and provides direction and consultation to impacted employees from a wide variety of departments including Engineering Solutions Delivery, Finance, and Actuarial.
- Provides direction to systems development staff by identifying business requirements related to new product developments, NAIC requirements, and Company processing and reporting changes.
- Analyzes monthly changes in in-force, reserves, premiums, dividends, and expenses that impact the Company's financial statements. Investigates unusual fluctuations. Makes decisions regarding their acceptance or indicates how they should be corrected.
- Responds to inquiries of financial auditors, providing answers to complex and challenging questions regarding our procedures and compliance.
- Analyzes the impact of business and systems changes on vital transactional and in-force data records used by several large Company financial reporting systems. Recommends appropriate action ensuring that reporting and regulatory requirements are met. Develops creative solutions that minimize cost yet meet all business requirements.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Mathematics, or related major strongly preferred. Associate degree and/or an equivalent amount of relevant work experience may also be considered.
- Two years relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, audit principles, and client computing tools such as Excel and SAS.
- Strong systems background in both mainframe and PC systems preferred.
- Strong knowledge of NM's product lines, NAIC reporting requirements, and general Company operations preferred.
- Strong communication skills required.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups