At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Responsible for external financial reporting for Northwestern Mutual and its insurance subsidiaries on a statutory basis. This position is also responsible for financial analysis of their assigned company, which includes maintaining a deep understanding of the entity and the industry in which it operates and effectively communicating those results to key constituents. In addition, this position also supports the internal controls program and rating agency requirements.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for leading the preparation and review process of all external financial reporting for Northwestern Mutual and Northwestern Long Term Care including quarterly and annual NAIC financial statements, audited statutory financial statements, and the NAIC risk-based capital calculation.
- Prepare high quality financial reports with extreme attention to detail. Analysis and document year over year financial results ensuring fluctuations are reasonable and appropriate.
- Assists in leading the company-wide effort to ensure compliance with applicable internal control requirements (i.e., NAIC Model Audit Rule), with specific emphasis on internal control documentation and evaluation. Supports the communication and coordination efforts throughout the organization, including training, progress monitoring, and reporting and analysis of control deficiencies.
- Assist with the execution of the annual audit. This coordination effort is done primarily on behalf of the department, but also includes coordination with other departments across NM.
- Work with external auditors to ensure agreement with company decisions on accounting issues and disclosures.
- Responsible for monitoring and compliance with evolving accounting disclosure guidance and may serve as a contact for various departments on reporting technical matters.
- Will work with the company's accounting policy representatives to ensure complete coverage of applicable disclosure guidance and assist with the successful implementation of all applicable disclosure guidance.
- Assist in monitoring and analysis of life sector rating agency guidance and reporting the corresponding impact on Northwestern Mutual’s ratings.
- Assist in the analysis and reporting of key Northwestern Mutual rating agency metrics to senior leadership. Responsible for managing the preparation and review of the annual rating agency survey process and will assist in responding to ad-hoc requests from the rating agencies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration with accounting emphasis.
- 5 years accounting experience with Big 4 accounting firm or combination of public and industry experience
- Experience in insurance accounting, financial reporting, auditing and/or financial analysis required
- Excellent knowledge of accounting/reporting standards, with an ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Advanced spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation application skills.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
- Experience with Workiva software preferred
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more!
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Please note that this is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups