At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This position is critical in helping us expand the functionality of and continue to maintain our existing Field facing, policy servicing applications.
This role may include one or more of the following:
Help us establish backend design patterns
Help us enhance and grow our existing applications and services
Help us support, troubleshoot, and manage our application design and integrations
Technologies We Use:
Java, Spring, JSP, Websphere
Springboot, Docker, Kubernetes
DB2, Amazon RDS, MongoDB
- Be a team player: contribute to our culture, invent new ways to address industry needs, criticize constructively, and help advance a world-changing company
- Provide solutions during planning and development
- Write automated tests via TDD to foster effective, reusable, and flexible code
- Build logic in isolated, independent, reusable components
- Ability to tackle user interface problems, independently and as part of a team
- Debug and troubleshoot integration with new API’s
- Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in a related field, such as Computer Science, or equivalent certifications, training, or practical experience.
- 1-3 years of practical experience in Java.
- Passionate about learning and creating high-quality, flexible code
- Proficient Java skills including understanding of Java APIs, such as Spring, Hibernate, log4j
- Understanding the use of APIs including data CRUD operations, JSON data structures, authentication, and documentation
- Understanding of REST API principles
- Understanding of data structures, and the ability to pick and use the right one for a solution.
- Familiarity with Git and GitLab or equivalent code repository technologies
- Interest in learning enterprise databases (DB2, Postgres, Amazon RDS)
- Ability to meet deadlines and hard working.
- Ability to work independently and within a team of diverse skills.
- Ability to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Modern Java experience, Java 8+
- Experience with Springboot, WebSphere and/or JSP
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and/or AWS
- Basic understanding of design patterns and implementation experience
- Proficiency in building modular applications
- Knowledgeable on Microservices and/or Service-Oriented Architecture
- Knowledgeable on security principles (OWASP)
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups