At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's The Role?
As a Employee Relations Lead, you will be part of a central team that collaboratively works with Human Resources Business Partners and Generalists, Compliance, Security, Internal Audit, and Employment Legal. You will engage with people leaders and employees to provide strategic, trusted consultation and thought leadership on employee matters to maintain positive and effective employment relationships throughout the company.
In addition, you will work on a variety of employee relations issues, including advising on Northwestern Mutual’s policies, practices, how to address workplace issues, reorganizations, performance management, and coaching/development.
Using your knowledge of applicable employment laws as well as our policies and practices, you will lead a variety of strategic projects related to Employee Relations that impact enterprise wide philosophy and/or policy. You will also lead investigations and partner with other teams to ensure that investigations/disciplinary processes are handled in a fair, timely manner including assessing and documenting best practices for investigations.
You will also support Equal Employment Opportunity strategy, investigations, reporting, and management. Develops and implements training, tools, systems, and templates for Employee Relations, embedded HR and/or people leaders to facilitate effective execution of employee/labor relations strategies and practices across the organization.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Minimum of 7 years of human resources experience including a Bachelor’s degree in HR or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, including influence and persuasion are required
- Must be able to handle conflict situations
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of human resources management and employee relations required
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making skills required
- Demonstrated expertise in harassment, discrimination, and retaliation investigations
- Models courageous and constructive dialogue, confidence to offer new and potentially challenging ideas to foster conversation and critical thinking, ability to deliver difficult / complex messages and help others understand multiple points of view to drive outcomes
- Proven track record in demonstrating the ability to independently set priorities and carry out multiple, diverse assignments within time deadlines required
- Superior oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write contractual language, letters of agreement, etc.
- Ability to build rapport with all staff levels required
- Flexibility and the ability to creatively respond to changing conditions required
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond quickly, adjusts to competing priorities, comfortable operating through risk and uncertainty in a high-volume work environment
- Excellent consultative, interpersonal/influencing skills, including the ability to build trusted advisor relationships across the organization
- Strong analytical and data skills
Desired experience: A master’s degree in labor relations or JD is preferred and may be substituted for some of the relevant work experience.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We a re an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, Ne w York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
Please note: Any wages or wage ranges listed directly on a specific job requisition or posting will supersede corresponding wage ranges listed within Pay Transparency Guide linked above.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups