At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative, and growing. We're going through a digital technology transformation and are making major improvements to the ways our employees experience their work! Come help us build for the future.
What's the Role?
- As an Employee Relations Consultant, you will be part of a central team that collaboratively works with Human Resources Business Partners and Generalists, Compliance, Security, Internal Audit, and Employment Legal.
- You will engage with people leaders and employees to provide trusted consultation and thought leadership on employee matters to maintain positive and effective relationships throughout the company.
- Using your knowledge of applicable employment laws as well as our policies and practices, provide trusted consultation that aligns to the company’s employment and labor relations strategy.
- You will work on a variety of employee relations issues, including advising on Northwestern Mutual policies, practices, how to address workplace issues, reorganizations, performance management and coaching/development.
- You will also lead investigations and partner with other teams to ensure that investigations or disciplinary processes are handled in a fair, timely manner including assessing and documenting standard methodologies for investigations.
- You will support Equal Employment Opportunity strategy, investigations, reporting and management.
- Develops and implements training, tools, systems, and templates for embedded HR and/or people leaders to facilitate effective execution of employee/labor relations and EEO strategies and practices across the organization.
What You'll Need:
- 5 to 8 years of human resources experience including a Bachelor's degree in HR or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible work experience with an emphasis in employee/labor relations, human resources, employment law, and/or a related business field.
- A Master's degree in industrial/labor relations, human resources, or a JD is preferred and may be substituted for some of the relevant work experience.
- Strong social skills, including influence and persuasion are required.
- Must be able to handle conflict situations.
- Proven leadership and decision-making skills required.
- Proven expertise in employment relations issues, harassment, discrimination, and retaliation investigations.
- Models courageous and constructive dialogue, confidence to offer new and potentially complicated ideas to further conversation and critical thinking, ability to deliver difficult/sophisticated messages and help others understand multiple points of view to drive outcomes.
- Proven track record in demonstrating ability to carry out multiple, diverse assignments within time deadlines required and ability to work independently.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build rapport with all staff levels required.
- Flexibility and the ability to creatively respond to changing conditions required.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond quickly, adjusts to competing priorities, comfortable operating through risk and uncertainty in a high-volume work environment.
- Excellent consultative, interpersonal/influencing skills, including the ability to build trusted advisor relationships
- Flexible work arrangement. Tuition reimbursement paid time off, paid volunteer days, and caregiver time off. Highly competitive compensation that includes base salary plus bonus Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k) and company pension program
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here (http://careers.northwesternmutual.com/colorado-and-remote-workers-compensation-and-benefits/) for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups