At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This position is located in San Francisco, California, and requires travel throughout northern California and the Pacific Northwest.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
Who We Are : Northwestern Mutual Real Estate ("NMRE")
NMRE is one of the largest real estate investors in the nation, with investments in commercial mortgages and equity investments across all major property types, including apartments, office, retail and industrial. The $60+ billion real estate investment portfolio is composed of approximately 80 percent fixed income and 20 percent equity investments. Northwestern Mutual Real Estate is a financing source that provides experienced and knowledgeable people, quick and decisive action and flexible, creative solutions. Our lending is concentrated on mortgage loans greater than $25 million to more than $500 million for large portfolio deals secured by general purpose income property. We seek opportunities to invest in real estate equities directly through acquisitions and joint venture development. Additional information can be found on our website (https://realestate.northwesternmutual.com/).
The Role: Commercial mortgage loan and real estate equity originations
The person who fills this position will source, underwrite, recommend, and work with a team to close mortgage loan and real estate equity investments throughout Northern California and the greater Pacific Northwest markets. They will also be responsible for servicing and managing existing mortgage loans within the region.
- Originate, close, and manage new commercial mortgage and equity investments across multiple asset classes located within the Northwest Region.
- Develop, expand and maintain relationships with existing and prospective borrowers and partners, as well as the brokerage community, to generate investment opportunities.
- Evaluate new investment requests in view of NMRE’s investment criteria including underwriting and evaluation of the collateral, market factors, sponsorship, and deal structure.
- Present high conviction investment recommendations to senior management and strategize effectively with team members to drive investment decisions.
- Draft and negotiate loan quotes, letters of intent, loan applications, and other documents as necessary, with support of internal counsel, related to origination and closing of new investments.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders both internally and externally to manage the closing process for new transactions including clients, brokers, attorneys, underwriters, closing coordinators, and consultants.
- Evaluate and service a portion of the commercial loan portfolio including annual loan ratings, lease approvals, assumptions, and other modifications or client requests.
- Collaborate with and support colleagues to contribute to the broader goals of NMRE.
- Travel within region for meetings, property tours, and industry events.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- MBA or master’s degree with a concentration in real estate or finance is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in underwriting, appraisal and valuation of commercial properties and/or origination and negotiation of mortgage loan or real estate equity investments including acquisition and joint venture development.
- Direct or supervised experience with relationship building and networking of prospective and existing clients.
- Understanding of major asset classes and capital markets within commercial real estate.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, negotiation, and critical reasoning skills paired with an ability to communicate and summarize effectively in both verbal and written presentations.
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with Excel.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- High ethical and professional standards.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups