At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Who We Are:
Data Science and Analytics plays a key role in the Core Data and Analytics (CDA) organization. We leverage data to provide key insights, business intelligence and data science products that advance NM's strategic priorities.
Role and Responsibilities :
As a Data Scientist, you will be a part of the Accelerated Underwriting team that delivers machine learning models to implement our corporate initiatives to make our application process faster and easier for our clients. Our successful candidate will be able to apply and integrate advanced statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling, and business analysis to discover and identify new insights. You will advance the work by helping to turn those insights into actionable outcomes. Through team exposure and interaction with business clients, you will be able to tell a story through data. Be prepared to visualize recommendations for forecasts, metrics, and complex data sets. You will share best practices with peers around core methodologies, patterns, standards and processes.
We are looking for someone who will work diligently in a collaborative environment. This individual will:
- Apply and integrate statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling and business analysis skills and techniques to discover and identify new insights, advise on turning new insights into impactful opportunities and outcomes, and providing the tracking and measurement of results.
- Interpret available internal and external data resources to develop and deliver information solutions, including analytical information. Be able to craft a summary of exactly what the data is telling us in real-world terms.
- Develop prototype solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to support analytic insights and visualization of sophisticated data sets for productization and monetization
- Explore new experimentation methods and statistical techniques that could sharpen or speed up our product decision-making processes - bring your innovation to our team.
- Ability to translate business problems into analytical questions for investigation. Be inquisitive and see the big picture.
- Ability to write sophisticated SQL queries
- Statistical knowledge and intuition
- It would be useful for interested parties to have as much of the following experience as possible: Machine learning experience, experience with distributed databases and query languages like Hive or Spark, programming experience with a scripting language such as Python.
- Proficiency with a statistical analysis tool such as R or SAS
- Ability to tell a story with data
- Strong time and project management skills with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status optimally to all levels
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction
- Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field 3-5 years relevant experience with a proven track record
- Master's degree or PhD in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics preferred with relevant work experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, SQL, or R
- Proficiency in cloud environments like Azure, AWS, or GCP including model deployment preferred
- Passion for problem solving, research, quantitative analysis, and analytical working techniques
- Ability to influence others with the story of what you're seeing in the data to make business recommendations
- Extremely organized with high attention to details
- Excellent time and project management skills, with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status effectively to all levels
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups