At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 161 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients.
Data is a critical driver of this approach, and a cornerstone for how NM engages with its customers. To help guide the effort, we are seeking a Data Engineer.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Apply engineering best practices in order to analyze, design, develop, deploy, and support data and software solutions
- Develop software using continuous deployment and integration practices
- Participate in agile story authoring, sizing, and demo sessions for product features
- Participate in an agile implementation and maintenance of source control and release procedures
- Participate in code reviews and feedback to the team
- Contribute to a collaborative work environment in which all team members are respected regardless of their individual differences and are motivated to improve both their individual and team contributions
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- 2+ years of experience in data engineering or related field
- Experience with agile methodologies/DevOps environment
- Familiar with database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Familiar with data integration patterns and tooling including ELT/ETL, Replication, Event Streaming, Virtualization to support batch and real-time data needs
- Familiar with data lake design and implementation considerations such as columnar storage formats (Parquet) and partitioning
- Experience with languages such as Python, JVM (Java, Scala), SQL, Apache Spark, PySpark, Terraform
- Experience with AWS technologies, S3, EMR, Lambda, Redshift, RDS, Databricks, Docker, Kubernetes, GIT, CI/CD
- Proficient programming skills
- Ability to explain technical solutions to technical teams
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction
- Excellent teamwork, coordination, influencing, and communication skills
- Understanding and awareness of regulations around the use of PII data
- B.S. degree in related field
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups