At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Are you a creative, ambitious, "data curious" thinker who is passionate about extracting true business value from data? Would you like to be part of a team that seeks to provide analytical insights that uncover what’s driving the business into the hands of senior leaders?
Northwestern Mutual needs intellectually curious, passionate decision science professionals to drive the transformation of data into insights that identify "aha!" moments and enable business breakthroughs.
This is an excellent opportunity in our Corporate Strategy department for an individual who thrives in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment where strong analytical skills, business acumen, and superior communication skills are critical. It is a unique opportunity to have meaningful impact on a large scale at a leading financial services firm.
The Team – Strategic Intelligence
The Strategic Intelligence team sits within Northwestern Mutual’s Corporate Strategy department and is a provider of decision science and business analytics solutions partnering across the enterprise supporting strategic and financial decision-making using data and analytics. The team works on a large range of strategic, highly visible projects with internal clients including Client Experience, Marketing, Distribution, and many others.
Our team consists of data science and analytics professionals, with a strong interest in business & finance, creating and deriving analytical insights that transform the way we do business - balancing the art of decision making with science. Our work is often innovative and rapid (delivering solutions in weeks to a few months). What we build matters and has huge impact.
The Department – Corporate Strategy
The Corporate Strategy department supports all lines of business and functional groups on a project basis, addressing analytical topics at the top of senior management agendas. Projects include evaluating growth strategies, assessing impact of strategic initiatives, and cross-functional business and corporate initiatives. Projects are typically team-based and include heavy interaction and collaboration with senior executives across the company.
We are seeking data science professionals with experience in applying data visualization, decision analysis, and statistical modelling to real world business problems. This role is a mix of data science (statistical modeling), consulting (problem solving, client interaction) and project management (leading the development and communication of insights and business implications). The ideal candidate stays abreast of new analytics technology but can recognize and apply the right techniques when the business challenge you are solving for is less complex.
If you are motivated by combining statistics and data modeling skills with the softer communication, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills needed to scope, develop, and deliver elegant solutions to complex problems, then this role is for you.
As a member of the Strategic Intelligence team, you will:
- work in a highly collaborative environment with clients, experienced data science practitioners, subject matter experts, and data engineering professionals to drive business value through the use of advanced analytics.
- provide senior leaders with a unique business perspective on how data science and analytics can transform and improve their entire organization - starting with key business issues they face.
- leverage industry-leading data-driven techniques to convert data into meaningful insights that enable the enterprise to drive value and an outstanding client experience.
- develop and execute significant data science and analytical solutions in a consulting-style environment that places a premium on creative problem solving and client interaction.
- deliver data analytics services to help clients solve business problems, drive value, and gain strategy and insight from information.
- tell a story with data – identify implications and “so whats” of data and analysis – communicate with stakeholders via interactive presentations, visualizations, and written communications.
- be part of a high impact, high visibility area with opportunities to enhance your skillset and build your career.
The Skills and Attributes for Success
- Keen interest in being at the intersection of business, technology, and analytics.
- Ability to think both independently and collaboratively to implement creative solutions that solve business problems, being diligent in the detail while maintaining focus on broader purpose and business objectives
- Experience using statistical packages for analyzing large data sets to derive new insights and opportunities to create data-driven business recommendations
- Excellent communicator built from an underlying clarity of thought with an ability to identify key issues, synthesize insights, and aim to clear business implications
- Experience defining the analytical agenda for projects and framing ambiguous business questions into an analytical approach
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills – ability to interact with colleagues at all levels in a peer-like way, and influence outcomes without direct control
- Ability to collaborate with key partners to formulate quantifiable KPIs and advise on strategies and experimentation to achieve business goals
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, math, computer science, economics, or related field.
- Preferred: Advanced graduate level degree in a quantitative discipline (statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, econometrics, or related field)
- 5+ years relevant experience to include research and data analysis, experiment design and measurement, or application of statistical research techniques.
- Expertise in one or more data science or statistical analysis tool such as SPSS, SAS, Python or R to solve business problems
- Strong SQL skills, ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries.
- Experience with data visualization tools (Tableau or Power BI preferred)
- Validated excellence in research, quantitative analysis, problem solving, and analytical working techniques.
- Strong aptitude and desire for learning new analytical and visualization tools, modeling, and quantitative techniques.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups