At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Reports to the Vice President-Enterprise Governance and Senior Director-Legal Operations, Strategy, & Technology
- Serves as the Law Librarian and is responsible for overseeing and administering the Law Library, the on-line catalog and all associated subscriptions, including developing standards and protocols for capturing and preserving data.
- Possesses an in-depth knowledge of the library collection and provides assistance and guidance to Law Department members. Work also includes renewing subscriptions, paying invoices, ordering books, filing loose-leaf services, negotiating contracts (with assistance from Finance), consulting with users outside of Law, adding/removing users from online services, and troubleshooting user access issues.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from attorneys, auditors, and regulators (including those made in connection with due diligence processes, and in connection with corporate surveys).
- Conducts legal and non-legal research for the Law Department and enterprise at large by identifying and using methods and sources materials that best meet the needs of the customer. Uses critical thinking skills to interpret customer needs, assess requirements and identify solutions to requests.
Topic and Case Tracking
- Research and track topics and cases as requested.
Policyowners Examining Committee Recruiting
- Provide support in identifying, researching, and recruiting candidates for the POEC. Maintain records and database to deliver data and background information as requested as part of the recruiting process.
Biographical Reporting for Principal Officers and Trustees
- Prepare and review for filing biographical affidavits with state insurance regulators for Northwestern Mutual and each of its insurance company subsidiaries in connection with each change in their respective boards of directors and principal officers. Ensure compliance with related filing requirements (e.g., fingerprinting, background checks); maintain data base of confidential records.
Annual Disclosure Questionnaire
- Administer the distribution and collection of the annual disclosure questionnaire.
- Prepare and deliver required reporting, including follow up with individuals responsible for reviewing various reports.
- Work with Law Department tech partners to distribute questionnaire and deliver required information.
- Master’s degree in Library Science (preferred) and a minimum of 5 years of general library experience and 3 years of legal library experience.
- Bachelor's degree or a Paralegal Certificate, and a minimum of five years' experience in insurance, financial services or legal industry; or a minimum of seven years of insurance, financial services or legal industry experience or equivalent experience.
- Proven record of strong research skills and experience in law, compliance, insurance or financial services industry, including a thorough knowledge of Westlaw
- Superior knowledge of and experience with federal and state statutory, regulatory and other legal or compliance related resources and materials
- Demonstrate strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently in prioritizing and concurrently handing multiple, complex assignments on-time with great attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to positively influence, work cooperatively and establish rapport with people at all levels
- Self-directed learner with a strong customer service orientation, sense of ownership, accountability, and professionalism
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups