At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
The Communications Strategist will lead the development and implementation of integrated communication strategies in support of two large initiatives focused on helping Northwestern Mutual build a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture: the company’s Women’s Platform and Sustained Action for Racial Equity. These initiatives are making an impact across the company – and this role is an opportunity to be a key part of meaningful change to fight racism and to ensure Northwestern Mutual is a company where a diversity of women want to join, stay, and grow. These enterprise-wide programs require a highly collaborative and proactive approach to drive communications strategy and execution on these critical topics – including the ability to shape and synthesize broad efforts into an aligned and cohesive communications approach, the ability to build a strong internal network of partners, and the ability to drive rapid communications execution.
Under the general guidance of the assistant director, this role will:
· Provide communications counsel, planning and implementation to a range of internal clients, including senior management, department heads, division leaders and project leaders.
· Work collaboratively with communications teams on program execution, responsible for the successful execution of communication strategies to achieve client business.
· Consult with clients regarding their business and communication objectives. Based on these consultations, develop annual communication plan and/or write communication strategies that support or drive desired business outcomes.
· Cultivate and expand client relationships by developing knowledge of financial services industry and the company strategy.
· Ensure planning and delivery of effective integrated communication solutions through collaborative working relationships with each functional area of Communications department and company-wide partners, as appropriate.
· Engage with and guide communications teams (may include public relations specialists, writers, creatives, researchers, external consultants, etc.) to plan, conceive, develop and implement communication solutions, including range of traditional and non-traditional venues, media, channels and tactics.
· Execute on communications strategies, with particular emphasis on writing key messages, supporting documents (news releases, FAQs, copy concepts, etc.), news articles, collateral, etc.
· Guide the work of internal partners, outside vendors, contractors, freelancers, etc., as appropriate, to ensure that execution supports the communications strategies and achieves client objectives.
· Plan and/or manage the measurement of the effectiveness of communications support and/or return on communications investment.
· Identify and connect collaborations across teams and clients, as appropriate.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
· Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or social sciences.
· At least six (6) years of progressive experience in professional communications, public relations, organizational communications, marketing, training or related communication field.
· Demonstrated skill in project management.
· Strong professional communications skills including business and communications writing; public speaking in small- and large-group settings; and one-to-one interpersonal relationships.
· Ability to listen to, engage, and influence clients; synthesize and relate complex information; analyze communication problems and opportunities; and develop and implement integrated communication strategies.
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically and counsel senior business managers in the appropriate use of communication strategies and tactics to inform and influence target audiences.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups