At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Provides project management expertise and consultation to business in order to meet department and cross department goals. Plans, monitors and manages internal projects from initiation through completion. Secures required resources and uses formal processes and tools to manage resources, budgets, risks, and changes. Manages projects to ensure on-time completion according to specifications and within budgeted costs. Incumbent is concerned with clearly identifiable elements of larger projects.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently leads highly complex departmental project/support assignments and/or participates in cross-departmental projects with responsibility for managing scope, risk, business value, schedule and budget.
- With department management, defines the objectives to be accomplished by the project team. With the team, develops the project plan. Directs team members to determine the best methods to achieve the projects objectives. Allocates staff and budget resources required to achieve project objectives.
- Maintains documentation of key decisions made throughout all project
- Identifies and solves a range of problems for a variety of situations. Analyzes possible solutions and assesses each using standard procedures, developing a recommended approach.
- Conducts independent and complex analysis to identify the scope and nature of a business and/or system problem. Responsible for accomplishing the stated project objectives through key project management responsibilities that include building the project requirements and managing the triple project constraints of cost, time, and scope.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and revising project deliverables. Responsible for gathering and delivering metrics as required by the project.
- As the project lead, and sometimes in support of a larger project manager lead, develops presentations and communications which incorporate a clear understanding of corporate communications theory and practice.
- Identifies alternative options in the development and enhancements for new policies and processes.
- Responsible to manage project risk through the development, maintenance and revision of reports and tracking tools. Using approved methodologies uses all available tools to identify potential problems before they occur.
- Understands the key business drivers as they relate to the projects. Adapts to the various internal procedures and forms close links with the business partner representatives, ensuring that the key issues of cost, time, scope and above all, client satisfaction, can be realized.
- Explains difficult or sensitive information and persuades others in a variety of situations. Effectively interact, negotiate and influence project teams and business partners to provide acceptable solutions and results.
- Acts as a liaison to facilitate an understanding and partnership between business clients. Manages the resources and vendors assigned to their projects by verifying progress and removing obstacles.
- Gathers and delivers day-to-day progress of a project as it relates to managing scope, schedule, cost and quality in order to support project management decisions and compliance with Company approved methodology and required deliverables.
- Develop comprehensive communication plans and craft compelling and effective language for communication pieces, including but not limited to programs, events, and projects, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and messaging.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary
- Bachelor's Degree with an emphasis in, Business, Project Management or related field preferred OR a significant amount of directly-related work experience beyond the minimum required for the position.
- Minimum 5 years of experience/knowledge in processes and project management to include analysis, documentation and a strong focus on communication and budgeting.
- Ability to work with general direction to scope, plan and manage cross-department or multi-department projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large and highly complex assignments.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Reputed as a team player and is supportive of group decisions and ideas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to build rapport within the company, field and /or outside vendors.
- High degree of personal initiative and motivation.
- Degree with a project management emphasis or PMI certification preferred
- Experience with project methodology through project life cycle phases
- Ability to build relationships, influence without authority, and gain confidence and credibility with business clients across the company.
- Excellent ability to effectively present information in a variety of formal settings (one-on-one, small and large group, peers, subordinates and organization leadership).
- Ability to foster a culture of excellence, innovation, and continuous improvement within the project team, promoting knowledge sharing and learning opportunities.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups