At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, our vision is to deliver financial security to help our clients live their best lives by choice. A key pillar of our vision and success is our strong, vibrant sales force. The Career Distribution (CD) function is at the forefront of working across the home office and sales force as one team to achieve the sales and growth objectives the company expects, while delivering the experience our distribution needs and deserves. You’ll be part of a team embedded in the heart of the Field Experience Department, leading the strategic priorities that deliver the outcomes and objectives that enable our operational and sales teams to better serve our clients.
Reporting to the , Assistant Director of Methodologies & Enablement , as a Project Manager Consultant, you will lead cross-functional teams focused on programs and projects that deliver business outcomes to achieve our sales and growth objectives. Supported by a team of experts in various project management disciplines, include agile, lean & portfolio management. You will have the opportunity to gain a strong understanding of our business, while leading people through our project life cycle ensuring projects are on target and transparent with status, issues, and risks.
- Independently leads highly complex cross-departmental project/support assignments and/or participates in cross-departmental projects with responsibility for managing scope, risk, business value, schedule and budget.
- Accountable for building teams and motivating project team members and influencing them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work. Accountable for identifying and resolving issues and conflicts within the project team at a portfolio/program level.
- With department management, defines the objectives to be accomplished by the project team. With the team, develops the project plan. May directs team members to determine the best methods to achieve the projects objectives. Allocates staff and budget resources required to achieve project objectives.
- Identifies and solves a range of problems in straightforward situations. Analyzes possible solutions and assesses each using standard procedures, developing a recommended approach.
- Conducts analysis to identify the scope and nature of a business and/or system problem. The incumbent is responsible for accomplishing the stated project objectives through key project management responsibilities that include building the project requirements and managing the triple project constraints of cost, time, and scope.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and revising project deliverables. Responsible for gathering and delivering metrics as required by the project.
- At the direction of project manager lead, develops presentations and communications which incorporate a clear understanding of corporate communications theory and practice.
- Identifies alternative options in the development and enhancements for new policies and processes. Incumbent will act as subject matter experts (SME) to build out new processes and systems that help realize efficiencies and cost savings for the division.
- Responsible to manage project risk through the development, maintenance and revision of reports and tracking tools. Using approved methodologies uses all available tools to identify potential problems before they occur.
- Understands the key business drivers as they relate to the projects.
- Adapts to the various internal procedures and forms close links with the business partner representatives, ensuring that the key issues of cost, time, scope and above all, client satisfaction, can be realized.
- Explains information and persuades others in straightforward situations.
- Effectively interact, negotiate and influence project teams and business partners to provide acceptable solutions and results.
- Acts as a liaison to facilitate an understanding and partnership between business clients. He/she will manage the resources and vendors assigned to their projects by verifying progress and removing obstacles.
- Gathers and delivers day-to-day progress of a project as it relates to managing scope, schedule, cost and quality in order to support project management decisions and compliance with Company approved methodology and required deliverables.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.
- Applies agile or other methodologies, as applicable
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in, Business, Project Management or related field preferred OR a significant amount of directly related work experience beyond the minimum required for the position.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience/knowledge in processes and project management to include analysis, documentation.
- Ability to work with general direction to scope, plan and manage cross-department or multi-department projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large and highly complex assignments including those with enterprise-wide impact.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Seen as a team player and is supportive of group decisions and ideas.
- Written and oral communications skills with the ability to build rapport within the company, field and /or outside vendors.
- High degree of personal initiative and motivation.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups