At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Job Role: Full Stack React/Node Associate Engineer
What’s the role?
The Full Stack React/Node Engineer plays a critical role at Northwestern Mutual. We are building high-visibility applications that support our organization’s rapidly growing retail investment business including providing solutions for our customers and our large nationwide sales force. In addition, we develop and support microservices in an API Store to allow our internal consumers to interact with retail investment data. This requires handling back-end integrations to third-party vendors, internal data stores, and the implementation of internal logic such as business rules and data access controls. The microservices are deployed to an AWS cloud-distributed environment.
As a member of our engineering team, you will be finding innovative ways to develop resilient, sustainable, secure, scalable solutions to create an exemplary experience for our user base while being on a highly collaborative team that utilizes agile practices. As an associate engineer you will partner with experienced engineers who will mentor as you build up your skills and development practices in your journey to become a valuable, highly proficient contributor to the team.
Required skills and experience:
- Web app development with React, HTML and CSS
- Ideally familiarity with Node, otherwise an aptitude to learn advanced Node.js functionality
Experience that’s not required, but nice to have:
- Cloud services, preferably AWS
- git code management with GitHub and/or GitLab
- CI/CD pipelines
- Data modeling
- Linux shell scripting
- Detailed and organized, curious and persistent – eager to find solutions to complex business needs, and not afraid to dig into issues and resolve problems
- Fast learner, self-starter, and curious with a strong desire to learn new things and a willingness to experiment
- Able to deal with ambiguity and drive tasks to completion in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong sense of ownership and the drive to tackle cross-team projects
- Willing to challenge others and drive innovation and creativity to come up with new ideas to improve quality, efficiency and delivery
- Effective communication skills including the ability to explain and document technical solutions to both engineering peers and non-technical business clients
- Strong interpersonal skills including working effectively with peers as well as with all levels throughout the enterprise
- Willingness to mentor others
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups