At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
As an engineer within the Data Services team, you will bring and continue to develop your infrastructure knowledge and abilities as you support the database needs of the developers and development teams who build the tools that keep the enterprise moving forward. While your knowledge and skill sets will focus on various database technologies and database management systems, you will understand infrastructure as a whole, including the tools for implementing infrastructure using automation and infrastructure as code. You will deliver value to your customers using agile approaches, processes, and frameworks. Critical to delivery is your ability to work as a collaborative team-member, work through ambiguity, and willingness to relentlessly learn and improve yourself and those around you. Throughout all of your activities, you will build quality into what you deliver and continually strive to put functional value in the hands of your customers quickly.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- At least 1 year of infrastructure experience preferred
- Preferred 1 year of experience in Database Engineering/Administration
- Preferred recent experience with database systems
- Willingness to learn on-premises and cloud database system technologies, such as Sybase, MySQL, Postgres, etc.
- Preferred familiarity with agile frameworks (Scrum, XP, SAFe, Kanban, etc…)
- Basic scripting knowledge
- Preferred basic fluency with other infrastructure technologies - for example, server administration, storage, data networking, etc...
- Ability to document your work in standard operating plans and procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with immediate team members, other IS areas, and clients in other departments
- Ability to understand priorities for scope, risk and quality of technology solutions to meet business needs
- Ability to effectively communicate issues and solutions
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups