At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This role is in the Investment Products and Services (IPS) organization. IPS Engineering is accountable for the vendors, applications, integrations and investment data that helps NM deliver on the promise we made to deliver comprehensive planning, insurance and investments through a trusted advisor and engaging technology. It’s that “whole picture” approach that helps clients create and grow wealth with personalized investments while protecting what they’ve already built. IPS is responsible for the “create and grow” part of this equation.
This position is for a back-end software engineer who will be involved in building, expanding, and supporting REST microservices within an API Store. These APIs allow internal consumers to interact with retail investment data. The data provided via the APIs requires handling back-end integrations to third-party vendors, internal data stores, as well as the implementation of internal logic such as business rules and data access controls. The microservices are deployed to an AWS cloud-distributed environment.
As a member of our engineering team, you will be finding innovative ways to develop resilient, sustainable, secure, scalable solutions to create an exemplary experience for our user base while being on a highly collaborative team that utilizes agile practices. You will have a basic understanding of the solution, and you will help the team through code reviews as well as building features.
Required skills and experience:
- 0 - 1+ years of Node microservice API experience building high-volume, high-availability distributed systems
- Some experience with cloud distributed systems, preferably AWS
- Source control using Git including standard branching strategies
- Ability to create automated builds and tests with Docker
- CI/CD expertise
- Static code analysis for test coverage, remediating code smells and vulnerabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate successfully and effectively with team members. Includes but not limited to: participating in daily scrum stand ups, pair programming, engaging in peer code reviews, and utilizing collaboration tools like Slack and Skype.
Experience that’s not required, but nice to have:
- Domain driven design
- Unix shell scripting
- Detailed and organized, curious and persistent – eager to find solutions to complex business needs, and not afraid to dig into issues and resolve problems
- Fast learner, self-starter, and curious with a strong desire to learn new things and a willingness to experiment
- Able to deal with ambiguity and drive tasks to completion in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong sense of ownership and the drive to tackle cross-team projects
- Be proficient in most aspects of Node.js along with AWS infrastructure
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups