At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an attorney interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role:
This attorney will be a member of the Department’s Litigation Team. The Litigation Team is responsible for overseeing and advising the company on all litigation in which the company is involved. The Litigation team also works with our home office Communications Dept. and other business areas to help protect the company’s reputation and to identify and preempt potential future problems. As a member of the Litigation Team, this attorney will:
- Work with internal clients to gather documents and understand facts related to lawsuits filed against the company.
- Work closely with outside counsel to develop and implement strategy for defending the company against all lawsuits filed against it. Includes being directly involved in responding to discovery requests; drafting discovery to be served on the other side; playing a key role in prepping company witnesses for depositions and trials; deciding whether/what motions to file; and reviewing and editing all briefs and motions filed with the court.
- Consult with internal clients and advise as to whether/when and on what grounds to resolve a matter.
- Advise business areas on potential risks posed by specific company policies or proposed changes to policies, and on specific matters potentially affecting company’s reputation.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Candidates must have at least four years of legal experience as a litigator.
- Excellent writing skills.
- The ability to analyze a variety of legal issues, synthesize complex information, and provide solution-oriented legal advice to business professionals throughout the enterprise.
- Candidates must have an exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate degree; note that a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general skill sets & aspirations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, creativity, comfort dealing with ambiguity, integrity, high ethical standards, and a positive demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work autonomously and to effectively prioritize multiple tasks at the same time.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all stakeholders of the enterprise.
Information About Our Law Department and Northwestern Mutual:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 115 members, approximately 75 are lawyers, having come to Northwestern Mutual from all around the country after having graduated from a multitude of law schools and undergraduate institutions and having practiced in a wide variety of settings. The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department (in every aspect of its operations, including the Law Department Leadership Team, the Department’s practicing lawyers and paralegals, and the Department’s professional administrative staff) is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of people who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all subject areas directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are nine main practice teams within the Law Department: Investment Products and Advisory Services; Digital and Enterprise Operations; Insurance Products and Operations; Corporate; Distribution; Litigation; Enterprise Governance; Private Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career growth for our attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff.
Northwestern Mutual has been helping people and businesses achieve financial security for more than 160 years. Through a comprehensive planning approach, Northwestern Mutual combines the expertise of its financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and industry-leading products to help its clients plan for what is most important. With $308.8 billion in total assets, $31.1 billion in revenues, and $2 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.75 million people with life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, and brokerage services. The company handles more than $200 billion of investments owned by its clients and held or handled through its wealth management and investment services businesses. Northwestern Mutual ranks 90 on the 2021 FORTUNE 500 and is recognized by FORTUNE® as one of the "World's Most Admired" life insurance companies in 2021.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups