At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an experienced, independent, and agile attorney interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role?
The practice of the Law Department’s Digital and Enterprise Operations Team focuses on supporting the digital transformation of the Company. As a member of this team and working collaboratively with other Department members, this attorney will:
- Be a trusted advisor helping business professionals, ranging from engineers to executive officers, reach important decisions that mitigate legal and regulatory risks in a rapidly changing environment;
- Serve as a point of contact on legal, regulatory, and other risk issues in connection with vendor sourcing and management for software, cloud services, and other technologies, digital product development, process improvement, and other operations of the enterprise; and
- Provide business areas with timely and high-quality advice on changes in law, regulation, and industry standards and best practices relating to technology, data, privacy, security/cybersecurity, intellectual property, consumer protection, and other legal and regulatory concerns.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Six or more years of experience as an attorney practicing in-house, at a law firm, and/or in the governmental or NGO space, with experience in commercial transactions, digital commerce and supporting technologies, financial services, litigation, and/or regulatory enforcement;
- Demonstrated ability to provide solution-oriented legal advice to business professionals at all levels throughout an enterprise;
- Intuitive sense of data privacy and security issues and strong experience advising on overlapping state and federal laws and regulations concerning these issues;
- Proven understanding of regulatory priorities and approaches for addressing largely unregulated technologies and processes such as big data, analytic (predictive and prescriptive) models and algorithms, machine learning, and AI;
- Demonstrated ability to proactively monitor and provide effective guidance on the development, evolution, and enforcement of laws and regulations in a rapidly changing commercial and regulatory environment;
- Recognition for building, maintaining, and managing strong and positive relationships with clients and colleagues;
- Outstanding analytical ability and drafting and negotiation skills regarding a broad variety of agreements, particularly those relating to software licensing, systems integration, cloud computing, or other complex services engagements; A writing sample may be requested.
- Exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate degree; note that a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general skill sets & aspirations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, creativity, comfort dealing with ambiguity, integrity, high ethical standards, and a positive sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively in a team environment and to manage a multijurisdictional practice and lead efforts involving other attorneys, advisors, and business people from across the enterprise.
- Ability to work autonomously as well and to prioritize multiple competing priorities and tasks.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all stakeholders of the enterprise.
INFORMATION ABOUT NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL AND THE LAW DEPARTMENT:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 110 people, approximately 70 are lawyers who studied at a multitude of law schools and undergraduate programs and came to us from a wide variety of backgrounds and legal practices across the country. The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department (in every aspect of its operation, including the Law Department Leadership Team, the Department’s practicing lawyers, and the Department’s professional administrative staff) is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of men and women who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian. We take great pride in the collegial and collaborative culture and value each other as people and as professionals.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all disciplines directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are eight main practice teams within the Law Department: Digital and Enterprise Operations; Insurance Products and Operations; Investment Products and Advisory Services; Corporate; Litigation and Distribution; Enterprise Governance; Private Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
As a mutual company with no shareholders, Northwestern Mutual exists solely for the benefit of providing protection, financial strength, and product value to our millions of clients through the use of robust financial planning and financial solutions that include both risk and investment products. The Company has the highest financial strength ratings awarded to any life insurance company by all four of the major financial ratings agencies.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups