At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We are Northwestern Mutual. We bring the financial strength and stability of a 165-year-old company to drive an enterprise-wide digital transformation. The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an experienced, independent, and agile attorney interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security. If you’re a creative lawyer who loves collaborating to solve complicated problems – especially in uncharted spaces – read on!
What's the role?
The practice of the Law Department’s Digital and Enterprise Operations Team focuses on supporting the digital transformation of the Company. As a member of this team and working collaboratively with other Department members, this attorney will:
- Be a trusted advisor helping business professionals, ranging from engineers to executive officers, reach important decisions that mitigate legal and regulatory risks while enhancing business outcomes in a rapidly changing environment;
- Provide business areas with timely and high-quality advice regarding laws, regulations, and industry standards relating to technology, data, privacy, AI, algorithmic models, machine learning, data security/cybersecurity, intellectual property, consumer protection, and other legal and regulatory concerns.
- Provide advice to staff of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Data Officer (CDO), Chief Privacy Officer (CPO), and Chief Legal Officer (CLO) on legal and regulatory issues related to our corporate technology, data and privacy programs.
- Support Government Relations and participate in industry trade groups on behalf of the Company to help regulators understand industry impact and influence the evolving regulatory landscape.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
Desired background – not all attributes are required to qualify a candidate:
- Eight or more years of experience as an attorney practicing in-house, at a law firm, and/or with the government (enforcement or regulatory) or an NGO, ideally in the financial services (or another highly regulated) industry
- Experience advising on issues related to US data privacy, cybersecurity, and/or data security; data ethics, management, and governance; and FinTech/InsurTech, digital banking, digital commerce and supporting technologies;
- Proven understanding of regulatory priorities and approaches for addressing largely unregulated technologies and processes such as big data, analytic (predictive and prescriptive) models and algorithms, machine learning, and AI (knowledge of/experience in the automated underwriting space is a plus);
- Intuitive sense of data privacy and security issues, strong experience advising on overlapping state and federal laws and regulations concerning these issues (CIPP (IAPP), CompTIA, or other similar certifications are a plus), and a strong network in the data/privacy/security space;
- Experience developing internal data privacy frameworks;
- Demonstrated ability to proactively monitor and provide effective guidance on the development, evolution, and enforcement of laws and regulations in a constantly evolving commercial and regulatory environment;
- Product counsel or similar experience in supporting the development of new products or services, ideally in the financial services space;
- Experience drafting/negotiating technology-related agreements;
- Recognition for building, maintaining, and leading positive relationships with clients and colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to provide real-time, succinct legal advice to business professionals at all levels throughout an enterprise;
- Exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate degree; note that a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general abilities & aspirations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), a highly analytical and curious mind, creativity, comfort dealing with ambiguity, integrity, high ethical standards, and a positive sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively in a team environment and to run a multijurisdictional practice and lead efforts involving other attorneys, advisors, and business people from across the enterprise.
- Ability to work autonomously as well and to prioritize multiple competing priorities and tasks.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all partners of the enterprise.
Information about northwestern mutual and the law department:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 110 people, approximately 70 are lawyers who studied at a multitude of law schools and undergraduate programs and came to us from a wide variety of backgrounds and legal practices across the country. The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department (in every aspect of its operation, including the Law Department Leadership Team, the Department’s practicing lawyers, and the Department’s professional administrative staff) is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of people who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian. We take great pride in the collegial and collaborative culture and value each other as people and as professionals.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all fields directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are eight main practice teams within the Law Department: Digital and Enterprise Operations; Insurance Products and Operations; Investment Products and Advisory Services; Corporate; Litigation and Distribution; Enterprise Governance; Private Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
As a mutual company with no shareholders, Northwestern Mutual exists solely for the benefit of providing protection, financial strength, and product value to our millions of clients through the use of robust financial planning and financial solutions that include both risk and investment products. The Company has the highest financial strength ratings awarded to any life insurance company by all four of the major financial ratings agencies.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups