At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Responsible for complete and accurate income tax returns in accordance with federal and state income tax rules and regulations. Responsible for proper income tax accounting and financial reporting in accordance with statutory accounting principles (SAP), generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and federal tax laws and regulations. Oversee the execution of highly efficient processes and procedures such that tax return and financial statement tax data can be reported quickly, accurately and routinely.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Tax Provision and Return Processes: Independently lead and direct the process of collecting and organizing data needed to complete tax returns and financial statement tax provisions including current and deferred tax accounting calculations. Educating other areas of the department and the company on the data information needs and designing a process that captures that data such that complete and accurate tax calculations can be prepared. Independently responds to tax related audit requests from internal, external and IRS auditors. Ensure all tax division model audit rule (MAR) documentation is complete, accurate, and current.
- Oversee Efficient Processes and Procedures: Design and configure processes and procedures that rely on technology so that tax return data and tax related financial statement data can be analyzed and reported quickly. Directs, organizes and collaborates with other employees throughout the department and the company to streamline work processes.
- High Level Tax Advisory Services to Leaders: Apply expert level of knowledge of federal tax laws and regulations, statutory accounting principles (SAP) and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to address complex problems and situations that arise throughout the business. Use knowledge of company strategy and tax rules to deliver multiple tax projection scenarios.
- Other: Fully comply with new or changing tax laws and regulations. Independently monitor changes in tax laws and regulations and lead, design and implement new policies, procedures and accounting controls to adapt to those changes. Other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- CPA or Equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Masters degree in taxation or law preferred
- Experience in the taxation of insurance and investments preferred
- 10 years of professional experience working in public accounting and/or relevant industry experience
- Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and federal tax laws and regulations
- Experience working with OneSource, Peoplesoft General Ledger, PFI and Business Objects software applications preferred
- Ability to problem solve: solve difficult problems with effective solutions; ability to ask good questions, probe, and see underlying or hidden problems and patterns and excellent analysis skills.
- Excellent analytical skills to include: ability to gather information systematically; consider a broad range of issues or factors; grasp complexities and perceive relationships among problems or issues, seek input from others and use accurate logic in analyses
- Ability to effectively develop systems and processes: ability to configure processes and procedures that rely on technology so that tax return data and tax related financial statement data can be analyzed and reported quickly
- Ability to influence others: effectively gain support and commitment from others throughout the department and the company to collect and organize data efficiently
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work in Colorado or work remotely, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups