At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Assistant Director Software Engineering – Law and Public Affairs
Enterprise Compliance plays a meaningful role in ensuring regulatory compliance for the Home Office and Field to ensure the financial security of Northwestern Mutual’s clients!
The Assistant Director of Software Engineering for Law and Public Affairs will lead a team of software, DevOps and Product Engineers that will support and improve the applications of our business partners.
A successful Assistant Director of this software group will have solid technical knowledge with a focus on customer experience. They will have a deliberate focus on communication to keep the team and business partners in sync. They will deliver a positive experience with outstanding results. Dedication to continuous improvement for the team and themselves is key to this role.
- Provides mentor, support, direction to a team of engineers and product team members
- Accountable for planning, communication, documentation and managing Scrum team ceremonies
- Establish, aggregate, and share team standards across organization
- Partner with business functions and team to deliver and support application enhancement needs
- Drive the core positioning and messaging for the product function
- Execute on the product vision, strategy and roadmap
- Manages vendor relationship on key technology initiatives
- Mentor and guide team on personal development, technical capabilities, domain understanding and job performance
- Recruits, hires and onboard new team members as needed and approved, ensuring the right mix of talent within team inclusive of employee and contingent workforce talent
Bring Your Best! Ideal Skills to Succeed:
- Ability to grow technical skill sets in others and guide personal development plans. Shown success in coaching/mentoring others
- Ability to successfully design, implement, and execute technology initiatives
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail both inside and outside of the data organization.
- Committed to continuous improvement and innovation approach within their teams
- Ability to problem solve, balance conflicting priorities and drive results through others
- Leads with a can-do attitude and positive influence on the team
- B.S. in Computer Science, MIS, or related field.
- 9+ years of professional experience
- Over 3 years of experience managing teams
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working with multiple enterprise infrastructure, engineering, and product teams
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical leadership to team.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best practices across department.
- Mentors, guides and coaches engineers within their division for job performance as well as technical and leadership growth.
- Recruits, hires and onboards talent, ensuring the right mix of talent within team.
- Manages team size / design and budget.
- Ensures production stability, monitoring, and root cause analysis for their products.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 6-8 years of professional experience required
- 3-5+ years of experience working with modern engineering tools, languages and practices.
- 2-5+ years of experience leading engineering teams including:
- Growing engineering skill sets in others.
- Developing future engineering leaders.
- Providing direct feedback and performance reviews.
- Proven track record of successfully designing and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Solid understanding of the organizations primary domains and business functions.
- Capable of communicating between product, engineering, and the business.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Leads the team to collaboration.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups