At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What’s the role?
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 161 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients. To help guide the collaborative effort, we are seeking an Assistant Director of Engineering.
This role is in the Field Career area of Career Distribution. Our area supports the systems and processes that enable our Financial Representatives (FRs) to successfully sell our products. Our systems support finding and onboarding quality talent, getting them licensed to sell our products, and teaching them ways to be successful. Our systems also provide valuable field force data to applications throughout our company. This is a super exciting team to be on as we are directly able to positively impact our day-to-day work lives of our FRs and FR candidates.
This role will be accountable to help drive our digital transformation and platform modernization efforts while managing the operational expectations of our existing platform. As a people manager this role will be expected to deliver results through teams, and work with employees on development and goal achievement. You will be leading a scrum team of Employees and Contractors. You will work closely with business partners, digital product partners and vendors to support the existing systems along with planning and delivering on business and technology transformation priorities.
Behaviors we are seeking in the Assistant Director role:
- You are a leader.
- You have exceptional, “go to” people skills.
- You listen and learn.
- You have a bias towards action.
- The words “not my job” are not in your vocabulary.
- You are candid yet compassionate.
- You don’t shy away from difficult conversations.
- You are proactive.
- You are a thought leader.
- You are collaborative by default.
- You care about people and our mission. People are your #1 priority, both employees and customers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides technical leadership to team.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best practices across department.
- Mentors, guides and coaches engineers within their division for job performance as well as technical and leadership growth.
- Recruits , hires and onboards talent, ensuring the right mix of talent within team.
- Manages team size / design and budget.
- Ensures production stability, monitoring, and root cause analysis for their products.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 6-8 years of professional experience required
- 3-5+ years of experience working with modern engineering tools, languages and practices.
- 2-5+ years of experience leading engineering teams including:
- Growing engineering skill sets in others.
- Developing future engineering leaders.
- Providing direct feedback and performance reviews.
- Proven track record of successfully designing and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Solid understanding of the organization’s primary domains and business functions.
- Capable of communicating between product, engineering, and the business.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Leads the team to collaboration.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups