At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
As a Risk Selection Strategy research and analytics leader, the incumbent uses their business, domain, and analytics knowledge and experience to lead efforts related to mortality/morbidity research, automated underwriting program/tool development, underwriting requirements research & analysis, and risk classification structure development.
- Leads digital and automated risk assessment capability development and deployment
- Responsible for setting and executing future-focused strategies for how to advance our digital risk assessment capabilities through the use of new data sources and advanced analytics
- Serves as Product Owner for digital risk assessment products (e.g. rules, risk calculators, predictive models)
- Leads efforts with data, analytics, and technology teams to gather and curate data, develop production-grade tools, and on implementation requirements, connections, and reporting capabilities
- Leads interdepartmental teams to identify risk and business process issues, constraints, and opportunities with using digital risk assessment tools
- Works cross-functionally to manage communication and change management aspects of implementing automated risk assessment tools. Engages stakeholders across the organization (e.g. Actuarial, Law, ERM, etc.) to ensure tools/models are accepted.
- Builds automated tools and predictive models for testing purposes with a proof-of-concept focus to guide future direction/decisions, improve understanding of the underlying data or problem, and to inform/prioritize future engagements with enterprise analytics partners to build production-grade tools
- Consult on standards changes, requirements changes, and risk classification changes
- Bachelor's degree in math, statistics, actuarial science, or data science. FSA preferred
- 8-10 years experience in risk assessment, actuarial, or data science / data analytics roles demonstrating continued success and progressive larger responsibilities
- Extensive experience working with data and developing, designing and presenting analytics, including some programming experience and work with multiple data bases.
- Knowledge of advanced analytical model development and construction, including practitioner experience and expertise in one or more development or advanced analytical tools such as R, SAS, Python, Tableau
- Proven ability to understand complex data and analytical relationships to drive business understanding and priorities
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating complex analytical topics to experts as well as those with limited experience
- Visionary. Has shown a penchant for questioning how things have been done and has actively brought forth new solutions to old problems. Can clearly articulate a vision for the future and align strategies and stakeholders accordingly.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional and inter-departmental teams including an ability to lead highly matrixed teams
- Integrity. Understanding that just because we can doesn't mean we should
- Deep understanding of the connection between customer experiences, sales processes, operational results, and long-term product value
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups