At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Assistant Director - Risk Product Accounting manages the financial accounting functions, and related control activities, for assigned products, systems, and processes. The AD-RPA directs the preparation of accurate, timely and value-added financial statement and analytical reporting products to support financial planning and regulatory reporting functions. The role also provides finance leadership in all stages of cross-departmental strategic projects and leads the development and continuous improvement of key business capabilities that align with the goals and strategies of the Finance Department.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage the financial accounting functions for assigned insurance products, systems, and processes of NM and NLTC to ensure conformance with statutory accounting standards. Develop, assess, and maintain accounting control standards and documentation for these transactions and balances.
- Direct the preparation of accurate, timely and value-added financial statement and analytical reporting products. Support the financial planning and forecasting function through the delivery of reporting and analysis. Oversee regulatory and compliance reporting of product, benefit plan, unclaimed property, and/or state-level financial results.
- Provide finance leadership and subject matter expertise in all stages of projects, generally cross-departmental strategic efforts with high risk and/or significant complexity. Represent and advocate for finance involvement, identify and communicate key issues, and share best practices and insights.
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of key business capabilities (e.g., financial analysis, transactional accounting and reconciliation, operational and regulatory reporting) that align with the goals and strategies of the Finance Department. Continuously evaluate the maturity of capabilities and develop a vision for the future state. Collaborate with leaders in Finance and other departments to ensure activities are initiated and implemented as planned.
- Partner with leaders in client advocacy and career distribution to develop business processes that support the administration of insurance products and/or field compensation, the accurate and timely application and payment of funds to clients (policyowners, beneficiaries, financial representatives), and the related accounting. Direct the correction of existing problems, and provide best practice solutions (processes, use of systems) to prevent future problems from occurring.
- Apply expert level knowledge of statutory accounting practices as new accounting guidance is exposed or issued, and to address unique transactions and situations that arise throughout the business. Perform high-level technical accounting research. Ensure changes are implemented in accordance with requirements.
- Manage the performance and development of employees through recruitment, selection, training, goal setting, ongoing feedback, and coaching. Ensure appropriate workload balance and priorities between accounting control, reporting, and project responsibilities.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with accounting emphasis.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation or equivalent.
- Ten or more years of relevant experience in positions with increasing accounting, auditing, or financial management responsibilities.
- Experience with the application of statutory or GAAP accounting standards in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Highly analytical (critical thinking, data analysis and research skills).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven leadership in people and change management.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Proven leadership in project management.
- Experience with the design and evaluation of internal controls for NAIC Model Audit Rule or Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in management information technology/systems, MBA, or other graduate business degree.
- Large firm public accounting/auditing experience.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups