At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We are looking for a driven and enthusiastic software engineering leader interested in creating a world-class client web experience for our customers. As an Assistant Director of Engineering for Client Website, you will lead a group of talented software engineering teams in continuously building and deploying web solutions using industry leading technology. Being able to represent the user experience and remain client centric while delivering innovative solutions is key. If you are interested in accelerating your career, growing your technical knowledge, and building leadership skills then read on to see if this opportunity is a fit for you!
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Identifies and solves technical and operational problems; understands and recognizes broader impact across the division
- Guides and influences others either internally or externally to adopt a different point of view
- Clarifies objectives as well as removes obstacles and barriers that prevent the team from achieving results
- Monitor team performance and results through quantitative and qualitative measures of value, outcome, velocity, engagement, and satisfaction
- Provides technical leadership to team.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best practices across department.
- Mentors, guides and coaches engineers within their division for job performance as well as technical and leadership growth.
- Recruits , hires and onboards talent, ensuring the right mix of talent within team.
- Manages team size / design and budget.
- Ensures production stability, monitoring, and root cause analysis for their products.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 6-8 years of professional experience required
- 3-5+ years of experience working with modern engineering tools, languages and practices.
- 2-5+ years of experience leading engineering teams including:
-- Growing engineering skill sets in others.
-- Developing future engineering leaders.
-- Providing direct feedback and performance reviews.
- Proven track record of successfully designing and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Solid understanding of the organization’s primary domains and business functions.
- Capable of communicating between product, engineering, and the business.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Leads the team to collaboration.
Ideal Skills to Succeed:
- NodeJS, React, Redux, ExpressJS
- Source control (preferably: git)
- Containerization (preferably: Docker)
- Container orchestration (preferably: Kubernetes)
- Infrastructure scripting (preferably: Terraform)
- Public cloud (preferably: AWS)
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups