At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
2021 was a historic year at Northwestern Mutual – one that saw our company achieve new levels of financial strength, client trust, employee engagement and media attention. And to surpass our record-setting results in 2022, we are making exciting, strategic investments in key areas of the enterprise – including our external communications group – that will accelerate our strong momentum.
An essential ingredient to our sustained success will be Northwestern Mutual’s Assistant Director of Media & Public Relations – an accomplished communications leader who will continue to drive the company’s external engagement efforts across multiple business units and functional areas, including key areas of Technology, Client Experience & Strategic Venture Investments. This includes but is not limited to storytelling on how we are accelerating the client experience through data, advancing digital innovation, leveraging technology in a hybrid workplace, investing in start-ups to gain insights, among others.
How you will do it:
- Develop and direct public relations plans aimed at enhancing Northwestern Mutual’s reputation and visibility by engaging the media, third party influencers, and other key stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrate an ability to work closely with executive spokespersons, supporting media interviews and crafting compelling messages that advance their thought leadership profiles and the company’s reputation as an innovator, technological disruptor and industry leader.
- Generate and implement creative and highly effective integrated communications initiatives that leverage PR agencies, a range of internal partners, and others.
- Have primary responsibility for tracking and merchandising the external communications team’s results, including continuously evolving the internal reporting, processes and overall philosophy associated with those efforts.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Boast exceptional writing skills that can be applied to and adapted for multiple audiences and channels.
- Bring the ability to cultivate ongoing relationships with national and local news media with an emphasis on top-tier technology- and innovation-focused outlets.
- Possess superior skills in communications strategy, planning and execution – particularly in a large, fast-paced, and matrixed environment.
- Have strong instincts, capabilities and demonstrated expertise when it comes to internal positioning, merchandising communications results, and sharing PR metrics.
- Understand the company’s products, services, structure and unique value proposition.
- Enjoy working across all levels of the organization, including executive leaders.
- Show an ability to build strong relationships with internal and agency partners to achieve key business and communications priorities.
- Have experience managing budgets and associated deadlines.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Mass Communications, Journalism or a closely related field.
- Have a minimum of 10 years of experience as a PR practitioner, journalist or communications strategist.
- Bring a team mentality, strong work ethic, positive attitude and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups