At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Lead the company's media relations and public relations strategies focused on the company’s insurance and investment products in addition to the company’s managed investments (e.g., general account portfolio) and company financials, and reports to the Sr. Director, Media & Public Relations. The role will serve as external communications counsel to a wide range of internal clients, especially at executive leadership levels, to achieve company business objectives and support operating priorities.
He/she will develop and direct public relations plans specifically aimed at enhancing Northwestern Mutual’s reputation and visibility by engaging target audiences, such as media, its advisors, and other key stakeholders. Demonstrates ability to work with executive spokespersons to develop messaging and support for media interviews. He/she must have proven ability to lead and direct integrated efforts utilizing internal teams and PR agencies, to implement effective strategies and compelling messages. He/she must be skilled at writing for a full range of audiences and channels.
The following will be important to ensure success in the role:
- Experienced in developing effective relationships with business partners across the enterprise in the use of media relations to support product, marketing, and other initiatives.
- Able to work across all levels, including executive leaders.
- Proven ability to develop and execute PR strategies that integrate traditional media relations with emerging social media and drive programs and projects in fast-paced environment.
- Cultivates ongoing relationships with the national and local news media with emphasis on the top-tier financial/business/trade press.
- Manage budget and deadlines.
- Possesses superior skills in communications strategy, planning and execution, problem-solving, writing, and PR metrics.
- Knowledge of Northwestern Mutual products, services, and mutual structure is desirable.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, Marketing, Business or related field.
Minimum 10 years’ experience as a journalist or professional public relations practitioner.
Superior written communications, presentation and interpersonal skills.
Strong understanding of the media and news cycle.
Knowledge of the financial services/insurance industry is preferred.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups