At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, our vision is to deliver financial security to help our clients live their best lives by choice. A key pillar of our vision and success is our strong, vibrant sales force. The Career Distribution (CD) function is at the forefront of working across the home office and sales force as one team to achieve the sales and growth objectives the company expects, while delivering the experience our distribution needs and deserves
Reporting to the, Sr. Director of Talent & Leadership Development, as the Assistant Director, Leadership Development you will play a key role in the design, development and implementation of leadership strategy, programming, and experiences for audiences ranging from new leader to executive leadership. This role will help to ensure that Northwestern Mutual leaders possess the skills and exhibit the behaviors to enable the growth of talent and sales.
- In alignment with the leadership and talent strategies, design, develop, manage and/or facilitate learning experiences that achieve desired outcomes.
- Identify and develop approaches to leader development that best leverages self-directed development, coupled with involvement from the local leader, Home Office, and external partners
- Help reinforce the leadership brand to attract aspiring leaders and retain existing leaders
- Develop alternative paths for talent to enter and progress through leadership roles, whether that be as part of a practice, office, or team leadership
- Support the attraction and development of diverse talent into, and advancement through leadership roles.
- Serves as the liaison with other members of Career Distribution regarding leadership programs and related solutions.
- Understand the financial and recognition levers that influence leadership behaviors and movement
- Keep abreast of innovations and thought leaders inside and outside the industry, with an eye towards sharing insights with stakeholders or incorporating them into the broader leadership and talent strategy.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
Demonstrate NM behaviors: deliver exceptional experience, solve for the client, be a talent multiplier, lead with enterprise vision, challenge the status quo, play to win
- Demonstrated understanding of the core areas of leadership development and talent management (e.g. talent development, leadership competencies & behaviors, talent review, org design, succession, career paths, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree w/ minimum of 8 years professional experience with 3+ years of experience in talent management/leadership development and/or 3+ years in a distribution leadership function
- Demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and/or facilitate learning experiences
- Utilize analytics and insights to inform decisions, and measure the impact of efforts
- Possess a systems view while demonstrating a high level of consulting, influencing and decision-making skills
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders representing a cross-section on an organization
- Understanding of the implications talent has on financial indicators, growth strategies, and system health
- Ability to articulate an independent point-of-view, and challenge conventional practices.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups