At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, our vision is to deliver financial security to help our clients live their best lives by choice. A key pillar of our vision and success is our strong and vibrant group of advisors. This role sits within the Career Distribution (CD) function, which is at the forefront of working across the company’s headquarters and the nation-wide group of advisors to achieve sales and growth objectives.
What's the role?
This role will play a key role in influencing company strategy and initiatives. They will be responsible for providing strategic market research to shape company strategy, along with departmental goals and plans. Understands multiple functional and departmental as well as corporate strategies to ensure research supports the company's overall business strategies and goals. Synthesizes existing research findings and makes recommendations; leads testing and evaluation of proposed critical initiatives requiring large corporate investments. Directs fact-based, research driven decision-making, planning and strategic solutions to senior leaders. Partners with senior executives within the business units and corporate functions to understand their business objectives, develops research strategies to support their goals, and ensures integration with company strategy. Develops recommendations for senior management to use in business decisions. Develops and maintains the processes, systems and methodologies to provide executive management with practical insights into consumer and field behavior. Uses discretion in prioritizing research initiatives. Initiates and implements new market research studies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Shapes and carries out research strategy.
Initiates proactive research and obtains executive sponsorship to support company strategy, direction and business objectives.
Explores new market research approaches and technologies.
Leads research design and methodology decisions; conducts and/or oversees quantitative analysis and analysis plan design; collaborates with other Analytics teams on quantitative analyses.
Responsible for consumer and field analyses to identify new opportunities for the company, and enhancements to the current business model.
Initiates thought leadership research for its communication internally and externally to support company branding and outreach.
Presents and socializes strategic research insights throughout the organization.
Participates in cross-functional teams that support the company's initiatives.
Provides project leadership, direction and mentoring to project team.
Develops a network of outside resources and suppliers and directs vendor relationships.
Assumes responsibility for vendor selection, negotiation, performance and quality control. Ensure effective management of a $1 million plus vendor budget for optimal impact.
Conducts research that is objective, reliable and ethical.
Represents company within industry and professional associations and maintains a network of peer relationships.
Responsible for providing direction and developing and mentoring project team.
Bring your best! What the role requires:
- 7+ years of formal market research experience. Experience should include budgetary resource oversight, and vendor management.
- Strong technical market research skills that include multiple of the following quantitative, qualitative, primary, and secondary.
- Degree in business, social sciences, statistics or related field
- Deep insurance and financial services industry knowledge, including products, markets and competitors.
- Able to be both strategic and tactical, with strong analytical, problem solving and conceptual skills.
- Must have, or acquire soon after, intimate knowledge of NM field, markets, clients and products.
- Ability to unite key colleagues and cross-functional partners by gaining trust through demonstrating business expertise.
- Superb communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts in a compelling, concise and creative way.
- Able to partner comfortably with more senior management on business issues.
- Shown ability to work collaboratively with individuals and teams.
- Demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and integrity.
- Consistently displays professional courage to research design, analysis and interpretation to deliver credible work product free of bias.
- Acts in the best interest of customers and the company.
- Master's degree or MBA, preferre
Analytics Insight - Advanced
Consumer Trends - Advanced
Cross-Functional Partnerships - Advanced
Data Analysis - Advanced
Data Collections - Advanced
Developing Proposals - Advanced
Market Research - Advanced
Marketing Strategies - Intermediate
Research Designs - Advanced
Research Presentations - Advanced
Statistical Methods - Advanced
Strategic Planning - Intermediate
Survey Design - Intermediate
Vendor Management - Intermediate
- Competitive base pay!
- Pension plan
- Educational assistance
- Performance based incentive pay
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Caregiver time off
- ….and more
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will offer reasonable accommodations
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups