At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This is not a remote position.
We are looking for a new Assistant Director in our Client Communications group within Digital Product! Client Communications is the hub of all communications that are sent to our policy holders. As an Assistant Director, you’ll step into a role that will drive the modernization of communication experiences for our policy holders, field and operations. This includes strategizing with internal partners on the roadmap, onboarding communications to a new platform, and maturing new processes. You’ll be asked to tackle complex problems for both customers and the business while working most closely with engineering and design as the key product leaders responsible for the execution, shipping and ongoing maintenance of digital products.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Vision: Sets the mid-term (1-2 year) vision of a product portfolio (multiple products) including how they will produce business outcomes. Responsible for encouraging an environment of understanding the products. Leads the full product life cycle from strategic planning, building and execution, maintenance and support to end of life retirement.
- Goals: Sets the product objectives and key results for a product. Aligns the engineering and design team around a common set of goals based on shipping product features.
- Roadmap: Accountable for providing high-level direction that illustrates the epics and features that will be delivered across a portfolio of products or platform and how it integrates with other cross functional team efforts.
- Defines the Product: Identifies and validates problems and/or opportunities for multiple user groups/scenarios across the company. Aligns partners and documents high-level business requirements or manages vendor relationships and any applicable request for proposal (RFP) or proof of concept (POC) processes.
- Communication: Collaborates cross functionally with business partners including engineering, marketing, design and sales to allow for the smooth and efficient flow of product activities.
- Data & Customer Research: Specifies the market requirements in relation to the business' product for both existing and future products based on market research realized through interactions with the clients, consumers and prospective users. Uses data and marketplace research to prioritize and build business cases for the development and implementation of product strategies for both internal and external customers.
- Prioritization: Responsible for setting long term goals for both products and team members. Accountable for helping teams track progress against Key Results and helps balance priorities with corporate critical initiatives or the introduction of new products.
- Leadership: Creates the future by fostering an engaging environment and encourage accountability and development. Breaks down barriers so individuals and teams can be accountable and responsible to do their best. Aligns' employee's passion to business value outcomes.
- Data Driven: Builds a culture of making data driven decisions that influence business, engineering and other team members to model this behavior.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization.
- 9+ years of working on technology-powered teams.
- Solid understanding of modern techniques in product discovery and delivery.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including experience in high-level business discussions and deep technical discussions.
- Experience using Business Intelligence dashboards and tools (Tableau, Power BI, Looker etc).
- Certification or course-completion in agile methods (General Assembly, Pragmatic Marketing, svpg etc.).
- 3+ years of formal people management experience managing other product managers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or an equivalent technical, business or financial field.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups