At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is looking for an Assistant Director to join our growing Cloud Platform team. The Cloud Platform team brings the power of public cloud to our organization to build digital solutions for our clients and internal customers.
What’s the Role
As the Assistant Director of Cloud Foundations, you will be managing the team that is responsible for foundational capabilities for Northwestern Mutual to consume public cloud services - cloud connectivity, identity federation, cloud account management and governance.
You will set the strategy on the evolution of the team’s service offerings to meet the growth of cloud usage, be in lockstep with cloud service provider product releases and Northwestern Mutual’s technology target state architecture. Additionally, you will need to form strong relationships with partner teams - Networking, Security, Monitoring, Audit, Service Management - to mature product integration, processes and procedures, define and refine RACI model and enforce in practice. You will need to know the value of the team’s service offerings to speak to senior leadership and the implementation details to speak to partner teams and engineers. You will accountable for the execution of the strategy and tactics along the way.
Most importantly, you will draw from your expansive technical and leadership experience to coach, mentor and bring the best out of the engineers. You will be an active participant in design reviews and technical walkthroughs in any number of roles - moderator, challenger, presenter and so forth. You will create space on the team for diversity of thoughts and opinions. You will enforce high standards for the team, while showing empathy and grace. You will reinforce continuous learning for the team, leading by example by participating in hackathons, pair programming, and acquiring professional certifications. You should be in tune with your team members’ career aspirations, help them achieve their goals and build a succession plan for the team.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of managing engineering teams
- 10+ years of software engineering, systems engineering, DevOps, Cloud or a combination
- Proven track record of creating a high performing team and elevating people
- Proven track record of successful major product or feature delivery, rollout and adoption
- Proven track record with enforcing, measuring and improving quality of engineering artifacts
- Proven track record with conducting monthly/quarterly business reviews with KPIs, trends, operational excellence metrics
- Experience with public cloud - AWS or Azure. Certifications preferred
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code frameworks (Terraform, CloudFormation, ARM, CDK)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and automation and how to apply it with services such as Gitlab CI, Jenkins, CodePipeline, or Circle CI
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
It’s understandable if you do not meet every one of these criteria! Everyone has a different background and you will be working with a diverse team that can help grow your career as well!
- Highly competitive compensation, including annual bonus opportunities
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Extensive Professional Training Opportunities
- Excellent Work/Life Balance
- Hackathons/Dedication to Innovation
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups