At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Summary of Role:
Responsible for leading the design and support of research, business intelligence and underwriting support applications for the Risk Selection Strategy (RSS) department and its client departments. Provides evidence-based research in support of risk classification models used for standard setting and underwriting. Develops requirements and related business rules, working closely with the business unit and technology subject matter experts to identify, design and implement solutions to solve business challenges related to risk selection and classification. Understands and prioritizes data and information requirements in the development of unique and ad-hoc analytical data. Identifies available internal and external data sources and develops and executes solutions to meet business needs. Uses analytical skills to solve complex problems and to anticipate business issues and execute on strategic priorities. Independently develops new approaches and techniques for modeling risk-based outcomes. Researches new technology and develops business cases to support business intelligence solutions.
- Gathers and assesses business needs. Identifies available internal and external data resources to develop and deliver solutions, including unique / ad hoc analytical information
- Develops new, potentially complex, risk classification models which may include integration of external data or research
- Works with Medical team and other underwriting standards setters to interpret data to solve risk selection and mortality related business problems. Summarizes analysis into user-friendly deliverables by translating technical, detailed data into business-appropriate communications
- Accountable for planning, prioritizing and coordinating future efforts in order to meet business objectives. Efforts may include support, enhancements and small or large projects
- Takes initiative to design and implement solutions based on interpretation of business client needs. Independently investigates and evaluates potential research topics
- Accountable for understanding data that already exists and how to use it, and if data needs to change, how to do it best to best fit business needs
- Applies creative problem solving and inter-departmental networking to address short term data and reporting needs. Accountable for understanding business/functional specifications, completing analysis, partnering with other areas to determine design and to deliver necessary information. Responsible for the development of processes in order to minimize cost, support maintainability and find solutions which become best practices
- Incumbent may be accountable for sharing best practices with peers through coaching and mentoring around core methodologies, patterns, standards, processes and application technologies in order to bring efficiency, consistency and maintainability to applications
- May provides direction to other team members
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, MIS, Accounting, Finance, math, statistics, business or related field
- 5+ years experience in progressively responsible roles in systems or data analysis roles
- Expertise in one or more development or analytical tools such as SAS, R, SQL, SQL based ETL, MS Excel, SPSS, Visual Basic, TSO, Unix, JCL or other data science or data visualization tools
- Subject matter expertise with data modeling and business intelligence reporting
- Superior analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems and to anticipate business issues and execute on strategic priorities
- Proven ability to work with people at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results and recommendations in written, verbal and presentation form at an appropriate level for a business audience
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups