At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This specialist role is responsible for ensuring complete and accurate accounting of financial activity related to Northwestern Mutual’s complex and highly regulated investment products & services subsidiaries. You will work within a cross-functional team of professionals to deliver on outcomes. In this role, you will cultivate your skills and career growth in an environment where creativity and innovation are encouraged.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurate and timely preparation of journal entries into the accounting system and reconciliation of accounts
- Demonstrate an understanding of complex business transactions, their purpose, and how changes in business transactions impact the accounting entries made.
- Identifies, communicates, researches, and resolves reconciliation issues or imbalances in a timely manner.
- Supports the review of the accounting generated by numerous internal administrative and third-party vendor systems coupled with manual accounting.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts, and project teams to assist with system improvements and efficiencies. Additionally, assists with performing the general ledger testing on new products.
- Assist with the internal or external auditors in their examination of annual financial statements and provide support for requested information.
- Prepares responses and supporting information for regulatory examination requests
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration with accounting emphasis.
- Finance or other business degree with financial emphasis or equivalent relevant work experience may be considered.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation or CPA candidate preferred. Experience with the application of statutory or GAAP accounting standards in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving ability
- High degree of self-motivation and proven ability to meet strict daily deadlines
- Proven ability to work independently and with a high degree of accuracy
- Displays a professional attitude
- Ability to effectively prioritize work and resolve routine problems
- Basic Microsoft applications experience
- Requires SEC Fingerprinting
This position has been classified as an Associated Person under NMIS guidelines and requires fingerprinting and completion of required form.
Required Certifications:Non-Registered Fingerprinted - FINRA
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups