At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Responsible for the analysis and resolution of complex financial case consultations on DI claims and DI underwriting .
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the analysis and resolution of complex financial case consultations on DI claims (75% of workload) and DI underwriting (5% of workload).
- Review and analyze personal and business tax return as well as financial statements.
- Provide verbal and detailed written responses to DI claims analysts and underwriters. Occasionally communicate directly with NM financial representatives, claimants, outside CPAs, attorneys, and employers on routine issues
- Partner with DI claims and underwriting leadership on complex and sensitive cases.
- Provide analysis and calculations of earned income, benefits payable/adjustments, tax reconciliations of monthly reporting, and covered overhead expenses.
- Develop and enhance the financial expertise of DI claims analysts, underwriters and other DI personnel through formal and informal training, presentations and mentoring during individual case consultations.
- Provides expertise and assistance in researching, developing, writing, reviewing, and implementing new and revised financial claims administration and underwriting standards that are consistent with the company’s strategy, claim philosophy, morbidity, and persistency goals as well as contract provisions.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of claims and underwriting manuals as well as applications, forms, brochures and other job aids and spreadsheets used by claims analysts and underwriters.
- Assist with the compilation and editing of taxable benefit data, and the generation and distribution of required tax reporting to comply with Federal income tax reporting regulations.
- Participate in small to modest sized intra and interdepartmental projects and committees that affect financial claims administration and underwriting.
- Establish and maintain high quality communication and goodwill with all levels of Home Office personnel as well as members of the field, claimants, policyowners and outside CPAs and attorneys with regard to claims administration and underwriting.
- Maintain the highest levels of current tax and accounting knowledge through continuing education and the review of professional publications.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting.
- CPA designation highly preferred.
- Experience in preparation or review of personal and small business tax returns highly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting or tax related work.
- Experience with a variety of businesses and industries is a plus.
- Knowledge of disability income products is a plus.
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills that balance flexibility, critical thinking and judgement with the complex contractual constraints that may exist in the DI contract.
- High degree of personal initiative and the ability to work independently and deliver timely results in a fast-paced production environment.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to train, develop and mentor claims analysts and underwriters.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups